So, the other night she asked if I would help her in the kitchen, but said I couldn't know what we were making, it was a secret. What?! Ummm...OK. So, she put me in charge of stirring a pot on the stove full of random things as she threw more things into it while she was working on another pot of random things (I tried to keep track of what she was doing, but that didn't happen).
Once one pot was finished, it's contents were put in a bowl and put in the fridge. The other pot was mixed with something else and then spooned onto cookie sheets and put in the oven.
Are you wondering what the heck she was up to? Yeah...so was I! It wasn't until the first batch of baking goodness started puffing up that she finally told me...we were making Lemon Custard Cream Puffs! Oh. My. Goodness!!!
The Cream Puffs themselves came from Fuji Mama and her recipe is below with Tool Lady's changes in red.
1 cup water
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
3. Bring the water to a boil in a medium-size saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the
4. Remove from the heat and cool slightly (about 1 minute). Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each one until the dough is smooth.
5. Drop heaping tablespoons of dough about 2-inches apart onto a greased baking sheet. Or transfer the batter to a pastry bag with a round tip and pipe circles about 2-inches in diameter and about 1-inch apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake the puffs for about 30 minutes until they are golden brown and puffy. If the puffs are medium-size, bake for about 22 — 25 minutes, and if the puffs are mini-size, bake for about 17 — 20 minutes. Remove the cream puffs from the oven and cool on a cooling rack.