Last weekend, after harvesting our first batch of rhubarb for the year, I promptly brought it inside, chopped it up and turned it into a delicious snack/dessert inspired by this recipe! I'm not sure if it was just the excitement of our first harvest, but this simple crisp was absolutely delicious!
We didn't have any fresh berries on hand (our strawberries won't be ready for a while) so I pulled out a jar of strawberry-rhubarb jam from last years stores and topped off the rhubarb with it. Perfect!
The only thing I think could have made it better would have been a scoop of vanilla ice cream...but I guess we'll have all summer to work on that addition.
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 3 cups coarsely chopped Rhubarb
- 1/2 cup Old Fashioned Oats
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar (packed)
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup strawberry-rhubarb jam (or another jam of your choice if fresh fruit is not available)
- Place the chopped rhubarb, cornstarch and sugar into a medium bowl, toss to coat and transfer into an 8 inch pan (a similar size will do, too).
- In a second bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon.
- Melt the butter and coconut oil, pour over the flour mixture and mix well.
- Sprinkle the flour and butter mixture over the fruit.
- Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes (it will be bubbly and the fruit will be tender).
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream if you have some, but remember, it's so good, the ice cream isn't even necessary!